Monday, May 23, 2011

The Businessman and the Angel

Businessman: “Dear angel, please tell me how much time I have left in this world?”

Angel: “Why do you want to know?”

Businessman: “If I knew I would die in a short period of time, I would travel the world and see the magic that this world has to offer, I would spend my time doing nothing, anything, and everything with people I love and love me, and I would seek every opportunity to tell them and show them how much I love them.

If I knew I would live forever, I would learn a new language and a musical instrument, get another degree just for the sake of learning and not for career advancement, and start a new career or a new business that I had no experience, but that is my passion. 

But since I don’t know how much time I have left, I end up doing none of those. 

All I do is working long hours every day for the job that is not my passion and spending time building relationships with people who could not care less about me, as it would be good for the career that I have no passion for.” 

Angel: “Why are you so constrained by time? Why do you create for yourself a barrier that prevents you to do things that you want to do? Why don’t you just live as if tomorrow would be your last day and learn and create for the future as if you would live forever?”

Businessman: “That is easier said than done, Angel. My company needs me so I can’t take vacation more than three weeks. I also have so many obligations – a family to support, a large mortgage for my big nice house to pay off, and a glamorous social status to maintain. I don’t have enough time to do all those things.”

Angel: “Those are just more excuses. You can start doing something now, if not everything. You have to recognize that you are creating these imaginary obstacles for yourself; therefore you are the only one who can get rid of them. Just remember, after you die, you will no longer have any opportunity to do things you want to do. And if you don’t do things that you want to do now, you are just living like a dead man. So do not ask me when you will die when you act as if you are already dead. Good luck.”

No comments: